Strategy and Purpose
Since 1834, RIBA architects have imagined a better future, then made it happen. Faced with evolving economies, accelerating technologies, shifting societies and a changing climate, we need to create a more sustainable future for our communities, cities and planet. Now more than ever we need architects to imagine a better future and make it happen.
In 2020, due to Covid, we extended our current strategic plan 2016-2020 Advancing Architecture by one year, while we developed the next strategy. This has now been approved by Board and will be launched in January 2022.
The 2034 Masterplan
The purpose of the 2034 Masterplan is to address the issues in the built environment, make the wider public aware of the value of architecture and to make the profession more valued and therefore, more attractive. It is a plan to make the future a better place.
The 2034 Masterplan works on three levels; for RIBA architects, for the profession and for society.
- For RIBA architects, we will accredit, support and celebrate them at every stage of their careers.
- For the profession, we will help keep architects informed and in business and we will demonstrate the impact of their work to clients, industry and the wider public. We will be the constant voice to government and champion the diversity, inclusivity and sustainability that will transform all our futures.
- For society, we will promote a deeper understanding and appreciation of what architecture is, what it can do, and why it is essential. We will help clients, policymakers, developers and businesses understand architecture, and work with architects to create better, and safer, places and spaces.
The Masterplan is designed to accommodate six biennial plans to reflect the presidential cycle. The first of these will focus on 2022 – 2023.
The 2022-23 Biennial Plan
The purpose of the 2022-23 Biennial Plan is to build the foundations that will help deliver the 2034 Masterplan. It is structured around these six themes:
- We solve real-world problems
We will help ensure our members have the tools, data and research to help in addressing the global shifts we are experiencing.
- We are open to all
We will be a place welcoming to everyone, from all backgrounds and around the globe, interested in architecture. We will be pushing to make ourselves and the profession more equal.
- We thrive on ideas
We will deliver a virtual and real place where we can collaborate in new ways, work faster and smarter, and learn from each other.
- We ensure architecture’s future
We will help educate and inspire successive generations of architects. We will be a supportive friend to students, schools, practices and practitioners, regardless of size, scale and location.
- We make the case
We will advocate for architecture. We will demonstrate its value, safeguard its standards and champion its power to have a positive impact on people, and our planet.
- We deliver
A leaner, more agile, more responsive Institute, driven by technology and data and done with the minimum wasted effort or expense.